Bacon cake is also known as“green cake” once there is a higher percentage of leeks in the cake. A rye sourdough is rolled out on a tray and topped with leek, breaded bacon, sour cream and eggs and baked.
Traditionally, similar to the Backesgrumbeere is cooked in the residual heat of the oven from the local baker. Even today, this pastry is sold by bakers, snack stands, at markets and funfair events.
Recipe bacon pie
Ingredients & Shopping list
- 1 bunch leeks
- 250 g bacon
- 1 cup cream
- 2 cups sour cream
- 4 large onions
- 250 g Emmental chees
- 1 cube fresh yeast
- 400 g flour
- 250 ml milk
- 50 g butter
- 3 eggs
- Heat the milk, yeast and butter in the microwave until the butter has melted.
- Mix the mixture with the flour and knead into a dough.
- Leave the dough covered in a warm place for 2 hours.
- Cut the leek into small pieces and pre-cook for 10 minutes.
- Sauté the onions in a frying pan, add the diced bacon and sauté very briefly.
- Beat the eggs in a bowl and add the onions and bacon. Then stir in sour cream, cream and grated Emmentaler.
- Season with nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Roll out the dough on a baking tray and spread the egg mixture on top.
- Spread the pre-cooked leeks over the topping.
- Bake for about 30 minutes at 200 °C until the pastry and topping are golden brown.