Leberkäse or Leberkäs in Bavarian is probably the best known regional speciality in Bavaria alongside Weisswurst. As a so-called Brotzeit Schmankerl a thick slice of Leberkäs is served on a roll – the “Leberkässemmel”. Sometimes with or without mustard, but with a hearty wheat beer. Butchers prepare this snack fresh every day and offer it as a snack.
The name is misleading, because neither liver nor cheese are contained in this meat emulsion. Liver used to be added to it and so the term meatloaf has also come to be used, which is probably more accurate. Cheese refers only to the box shape of this specialty. The ingredients used are 80% beef and 20% pork, some bacon, onions and spices.
In other German regions and Switzerland, the situation is somewhat different, as only Bavarian Leberkäse is not allowed to contain liver. More information about this can be found here.
Recipe Bavarian Leberkaese – liver cheese
Ingredients & Shopping list
- 200 g pork
- 800 g beef
- 250 g bacon
- 4 g mace
- 8 g pepper
- 1 onion
- 30 g butter
- 200-250 ml water
- The meat is first minced with a meat grinder. Separately, very finely chop the beef and pork. Coarsely chop the bacon
- Press the beef with your hands into a fine meat paste.
- To the beef now add the pork, bacon and the spices. Knead everything into a meaty dough. While kneading, add enough water to make a smooth dough.
- Grease a roasting pan, spread the twigs on the bottom and spread the meat mixture on top. Brush the dough with water.
- Bake in the oven at 180°C (preheated) for 60 minutes.
Tips & Hints
Letzte Aktualisierung am 2022-07-02 / Affiliate Links. Als Amazon-Partner verdienen wir an qualifizierten Verkäufen. / Bilder von der Amazon Product Advertising API