Bollebäuschen are also called Ballbäuschen, Bombeisges or Ballebäuschen, depending on the region. The common feature for these doughnuts is a cast iron pan with seven round depressions in which the balls are fried in the fat. Who lacks this pan, take the normal fat bath and bake them floating.
Like most old recipes, there are different recipes. But in any case it is a yeast dough.
In the Bergisches Land, the Ballebäuschen or Ballebäuskes are part of the Bergische Kaffetafel. In the Lower Rhine region, they are traditionally eaten on New Year’s Day and Good Friday. In Bremen, the Bombeisges used to be baked by themselves in almost every household. The name derives from the French “bon Baiser” = “good kiss”. Today, it is occasionally encountered as a dessert option in a Bremen restaurant.
Ingredients & Shopping list
- 500 g flour
- 100 g sugar
- 100 g soft butter
- 2 eggs tbsp
- 2 tsp vanilla sugar
- 30 g fresh yeast
- 250 ml lukewarm milk
- 100 g raisins
- 100 g currants
- 150 g slivered almonds
- clarified butter or a neutral oil for frying (e.g. sunflower oil)
- Sugar for sprinkling
- Dissolve the yeast in about 3-4 tablespoons of warm milk and add a teaspoon of sugar.
- Briefly soak the raisins and currants in water, rinse and pat dry. Then roll in a little flour. (This will help distribute the dried fruit throughout the dough).
- Sift the flour into a baking bowl. Make a well in the center and mix the yeast-milk mixture with a little flour. Let everything rise for 30 minutes.
- Gradually add all the other ingredients except the dried fruit and knead. (By hand or with the dough hook of the food processor).
- Finally, knead the fruit in the dough.
- Cover the dough and let it rise for 1 hour.
- Cut out balls with a tablespoon and fry in hot fat until golden brown. Depending on the size of the balls, the indicated number of pieces may vary.
- Heat clarified butter or oil to approx. 180 °C.
- While still hot, sprinkle the balls with sugar.
Tips & Hints
Letzte Aktualisierung am 2022-05-27 / Affiliate Links. Als Amazon-Partner verdienen wir an qualifizierten Verkäufen. / Bilder von der Amazon Product Advertising API