Schmorgurken are a simple but very popular recipe in the state of Brandenburg. Again, recipes vary somewhat. But ingredients are always thick cucumbers, bacon greaves and a meat broth. Traditionally, it is served with mashed potatoes. Especially in summer during the cucumber season it is offered a lot also in restaurants and inns.
The recipes come with friendly permission from the book ” Original Spreewälder Gurkenrezepte” from Karl-Heinz Starick from Lehde.
Recipe braised cucumbers Spreewald style
Ingredients & Shopping list
- 1 kg braised cucumbers/mustard cucumbers
- 250 ml meat broth
- 1 tsp potato starch
- 40 g bacon
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 onien
- 1 tsp flour
- Pepper, salt, vinegar
- Peel the cucumbers, cut them in half and remove the seeds with a spoon. Divide the halves into finger-length and two-finger-wide pieces.
- Salt, drizzle with vinegar and leave to infuse for about 30 minutes.
- Cook the cucumbers with juice, meat broth and onion.
- Fry diced bacon and remove fried cracklings from pan.
- In the fat, brown the sugar and flour, add the cucumber broth and boil well. Season to taste with pepper and salt.
- If the sauce is too thin, mix the potato starch in some cold water and thicken the sauce with it.