Bremen coffee bread
The Bremer Kaffeebrot is a pastry speciality with tradition from the Hanseatic city of Bremen. A white bread stick is baked from a yeast dough, cut into slices, sprinkled with butter, sugar and cinnamon and then toasted again in the oven.
Traditionally, these slices are dipped in a coffee or tea and then eaten. They are most popular at Christmas (like the Bremer Klaben), but can now be bought all year round in various confectioneries in Bremen. Or you can simply bake the Bremen coffee bread yourself according to our recipe.
Ingredients & Shopping list
- 500 g flour
- 1 cube fresh yeast (or 1 package dry yeast)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 250 ml water
- 100 g sugar
- 1-2 tsp cinnamon
- Water or liquid butter (to coat the slices)
- Crumble yeast into a small bowl. Mix with 1 tsp sugar and 100 ml warm water. After about 10 minutes, the yeast should be well risen.
- Put the flour in a bowl. Fold in the yeast, remaining water, salt and egg and knead into a dough with a mixer or your hands. Cover and let rise for 20 minutes.
- Knead the dough well again and form 2 long rolls. They should be about 5 cm in diameter and fit on a baking tray.
- Leave to rise on the tray for another 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 200°C and bake for 30 minutes.
- Allow to cool well before further processing. It is best not to process further until the next day.
Tips & Hints
Do not process the baked breads until the next day.
Letzte Aktualisierung am 2023-06-06 / Affiliate Links. Als Amazon-Partner verdienen wir an qualifizierten Verkäufen. / Bilder von der Amazon Product Advertising API