The Hanseatic city of Bremen is known for its sweet specialties . This also includes the Bremer Klaben, a juicy raisin bread made from yeast dough that is reminiscent of a Christmas stollen. The Klaben is available throughout the year. Similar to a stollen, the Bremen variant also contains raisins, currants, almonds, rum, lemon peel, orange peel and other ingredients for the dough. Unlike the Dresdner Stollen, for example, it is not buttered and sugared after the baking process.
The Klaben is already mentioned in a document at the end of the 16th century and was used as provisions on sailors. This type of stollen is baked in early December and in such quantities that it lasts until Easter. The word Klaben means that the pastry has a split shape, which is caused by cutting into the dough blank.
Recipe Bremer Klaben
Ingredients & Shopping list
- 1 kg flour
- 100 g sugar125 g
- 125 g fresh yeast
- 250 ml milk
- 500 g butter (or margarine)
- 1 level tsp cardamom
- 1 grated zest of an organic lemon
- 1 tsp salt
- 125 g lemon peel
- 125 g ground almonds
- 500 g raisins (washed and dried)
- 250 g currants (washed and dried)
- Sift the flour into a bowl and make a swale in the middle. Crumble the yeast, mix with a teaspoon of sugar and approx. 100 ml of the warm (not hot!) Milk. Put everything in the center of the swale.
- Spread the remaining sugar and the butter in flakes on the flour. Cover the bowl with a cloth and keep warm until the dough bubbles in the middle. This takes about 10 to 15 minutes
- Add the cardamom, lemon zest, remaining milk and salt to the bowl. Now work the dough evenly with your hands or a mixer with a dough hook. The dough is good when it is smooth and pliable.
- Add the lemon peel, almonds, raisins and currants and knead everything.
- Shape the dough into a clump and place on a baking sheet or in a loaf pan. Let rise in a warm place for another 40 minutes.
- Preheat the stove to 230 ° C.
- Put the Klaben in and bake for 15 minutes, then turn the temperature down to 200 ° C and bake for another 45 minutes. Be careful not to burn the raisins. To do this, you can loosely place a sheet of parchment paper on the Klaben at the end of the baking time.
Tips & Hints
Letzte Aktualisierung am 2023-01-10 / Affiliate Links. Als Amazon-Partner verdienen wir an qualifizierten Verkäufen. / Bilder von der Amazon Product Advertising API