Kale, known here as brown cabbage, is eaten with many traditional dishes, especially in the northern states of Germany. This hearty menu comes from Saxony-Anhalt (Magdeburger Börde region).
The green cab bage is called brown cabbage here, Klump is a potato pancake dough made from grated potatoes with egg and spices, which is baked in a pan.
Ingredients & Shopping list
- 1 kg kale
- 750 g pork
- 750 g potatoes (floury cooking)
- 2 eggs
- 100 g butter
- 1 arge vegetable onion
- 1 chopped onion
- 4 pears
- 1 tbsp clarified butter
- salt, pepper
- Strip the kale from the thick stems, wash thoroughly and blanch in salted water for 2 minutes. Drain and leave to cool slightly.
- Roughly chop the kale.
- Cut the pork into cubes.
- Sauté the onions in 1 tablespoon of clarified butter. Brown the meat in it.
- Add the kale and pour 1 l of water. Season with salt and pepper and cook covered for 30 minutes.
- Quarter and core the pears and add to the cabbage. Steam for another 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, peel and wash the potatoes and grate them coarsely with the onion. Wrap in a cotton cloth and squeeze the juice thoroughly.
- Immediately pour into a bowl and mix with the eggs and a little salt.
- Transfer the kale mixture to an ovenproof dish and spread the potato mixture over the top. Put the butter in flakes on top.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 175 degrees for about 40 minutes until golden.