Vegetable pudding from the water bath
This carrot pudding (made from carrots or yellow beets) has only remotely anything to do with the vanilla or chocolate puddings we know today. Pudding here refers to a method of preparation that was once very common in the home. Various ingredients (usually vegetables) are cooked in a water bath to form a solid mass. The binding is created by an egg-milk mixture. For the preparation use a pudding mold, which has a tight-fitting lid. The dishes are usually served warm.
Often vegetables were strongly cooked and in this way acquired an attractive shape. However, eggs and meat are also used. These puddings can be used as a main dish as in our recipe. But they are also wonderful as a side dish. The carrot pudding is just one example of numerous variations. Known from the British cuisine is, for example, a plum pudding or black pudding.
The pudding molds or water bath molds come in different shapes and sizes. The preparation is very simple: the prepared mass is filled into the mold up to 2/3. Put the lid on tightly and add to the already boiling water. This should go to about 3/4 height to the pudding mold. Leave in a gently bubbling water bath for 45 to 50 minutes and set aside for about 10 minutes after removing. Then turn out the pudding and serve warm.
In this way, you can also make a lot of sweet puddings. The puddings offered in the trade are called so by the manufacturers, but strictly speaking they are flummeries. Here, the firmness is achieved by adding starch, which does not exist in the classic puddings.
Instead of the herb sauce suggested in the recipe, we also recommend combining it with the Frankfurt herb sauce made from 7 herbs.
Recipe carrot pudding with herb sauce
Ingredients & Shopping list
Zubehör: Pudding mold / water bath fprm with lid, 1l
- 500 g carrots
- 4 eggs
- 4 tbsp sweet cream
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 0,5 tsp sugar
- some butter and breadcrumbs for the pudding mold
- 200 g leaf spinach
- 200 g mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 6 tbsp milk
- white pepper
- Clean and slice the carrots. Cook together with a little water, nutmeg, sugar and salt until the carrots are very soft.
- Pour off the remaining cooking water. Puree everything. Let the carrots cool a bit until they are only lukewarm.
- Stir in cream and egg yolk. Beat the egg whites until stiff and gently fold into the mixture.
- Grease the pudding mold with a little butter and then sprinkle with breadcrumbs. This makes it easier to turn the pudding out of the mold later.
- Pour the carrot mixture into the pudding mold and close with the lid. Place the mold in a pot of boiling water. Turn the temperature down a bit so that the water is only simmering gently. Leave in water bath for 45 minutes.The mold should be about 2/3 in the water.
- Remove the pudding mold from the water bath and set aside with contents for 15 minutes. Then remove the lid, place a plate on top and turn everything over so that the plate is at the bottom. – The pudding is ready.
- Blanch the spinach leaves (or herbs according to preference) briefly in boiling water, rinse under cold water, drain and finely chop with a blender.
- Add lemon juice, pepper and milk. Puree everything again. Mix the mixture evenly with the mayonnaise in a bowl.
Tips & Hints
Letzte Aktualisierung am 2023-06-07 / Affiliate Links. Als Amazon-Partner verdienen wir an qualifizierten Verkäufen. / Bilder von der Amazon Product Advertising API