Cinnamon stars are very special Swabian “Gutsle”: Difficult to bake, powerful in the dough – and heavenly in taste. These cookies (Gutsle) contain cinnamon, which is typically used in this country at Christmas time.
The white glaze is also baked. The dough is quite moist and sticky. For these reasons, the cinnamon stars are not that easy to bake. We give a few tips in the recipe that can help make it a success. Alternatively, it is much easier with the Bremer mops. It also contains cinnamon.
Like many other things, the cinnamon stars have spread throughout Germany and are now a classic part of Christmas bakery.
Ingredients & Shopping list
- 250 g almonds or hazelnuts with skin, finely ground
- 2 tsp cinnamon (ground)
- 1 pinch salt
- 250 g powdered sugar
- 3 egg white
- Beat the egg white with the salt until stiff and gradually pour in the sifted powdered sugar. Keep beating until the mass shines. Remove about 6 tablespoons and place in a bowl in the refrigerator.
- Mix nuts and cinnamon and gradually mix enough of them into the egg whites to make a malleable, only slightly sticky dough.
- Roll out the dough about 7 mm thick between baking paper. With the help of the paper, pull it out onto a baking sheet, freeze for approx. 1 hour.
- Take the dough out of the freezer, peel off the top baking paper and put it back on. Then turn the dough sheet over. Remove the baking paper that is now on top. This gives you a nice, smooth surface.
- Preheat the oven to 140 degrees. Since the cookies are dried more than baked, you can shield the heat a little if an empty baking sheet is pushed into the upper rail. The tray remains in the oven during baking.
- Now cut out stars of approx. 4 cm with a biscuit cutter. As the dough sticks, dip the moulds in icing sugar. Place on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Then use a pastry brush to spread the egg white icing on the stars.
- Work from the inside out. This is how you get the best result.
- Bake the cinnamon stars on the lower oven rail for about 15 minutes, until they are dry on the underside and the tips are firm. The light glaze darkens in a matter of seconds. You should therefore stand by the oven from around the 13th minute and use the color to decide when to remove the baked goods.
Tips & Hints
Clamp a wooden spoon in the oven door or, halfway through the baking time, place aluminum foil over the cookies.
Letzte Aktualisierung am 2022-11-29 / Affiliate Links. Als Amazon-Partner verdienen wir an qualifizierten Verkäufen. / Bilder von der Amazon Product Advertising API