Fried potatoes are very popular in Germany as an accompaniment to a meal or even as a main course. They are eaten as a main course with fried or scrambled eggs, for example at the Berliner Hoppel Poppel. As a side dish, they are served with sour herring (Bismarck herring), Boulette / meatballs or Stippgrütze / Bremer Knipp .
To make fried potatoes really crispy, waxy potatoes should be boiled whole and peeled the day before. The potatoes are cut into slices or pieces not until the next day just before roasting. Depending on your taste, onions and diced ham or bacon can be added.
Recipe perfect fried potatoes
Ingredients & Shopping list
- 1 kg waxy potatoes
- 2 Onions
- 2 tbsp clarified butter or oil
- salt, pepper
- 100 g bacon if required
- Ideally, boil the potatoes with their skins in salted water for about 15 minutes the day before until half cooked.
- Take out of the pot, let it cool down briefly and then peel it while it is still warm. Let cool down overnight.
- Peel the onion, cut into small pieces and roast in a pan until golden. Put aside.
- Alternatively: Fry the chopped bacon in the pan. Remove from the pan and roast the onions in it. Take out and set aside.
- Heat the clarified butter or oil in a pan and add the potato pieces. The pieces should be side by side. If there is a larger amount, then toast everything gradually. As soon as the lower side is golden yellow, turn everything and fry on the other side.
- Add onions and bacon to the finished potatoes and toss. Add salt, pepper and parsley to taste.
Tips & Hints
Letzte Aktualisierung am 2022-01-20 / Affiliate Links. Als Amazon-Partner verdienen wir an qualifizierten Verkäufen. / Bilder von der Amazon Product Advertising API