Elisen Lebkuchen are part of the classic Christmas biscuits. They are round, have a wafer on the underside and, in contrast to other types of gingerbread, consist primarily of a protein dough with only a small amount of flour. The best known are probably the Nuremberg Elisen Lebkuchen. Covered with a frosting or chocolate icing. Mostly topped with almonds.
As is so often the case, the origin of the name is controversial. Saint Elisabeth, patron saint of bakers, the daughter of a gingerbread baker or a Brandenburg countess come into question. But that is probably of secondary importance with these pastries.
Recipe Elisen gingerbread
Ingredients & Shopping list
- 1 eggs
- 1 egg white
- 250 g brown sugar
- 400 g ground almonds
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp cardamom
- 1 tsp mazis blossoms (nutmeg blossoms)
- 1 tsp cloves
- 1 tsp ginger
- grated zest of 1 untreated lemon
- 15 pcs baking wafers (diameter 8 cm)
- 100 g powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp hot water
- 1 tbsp rum or lemon juice
- 45 almonds
- Put the almonds in a saucepan with water. Bring to the boil and then rinse with cold water in a kitchen sieve. Then the almonds can be easily removed from the skin. Set the almonds aside.
Dough and baking
- Mix the sugar, eggs and egg whites together until the sugar has dissolved. This may take several minutes. Then add all the spices. Mix and add the ground almonds. The mass must be so firm that a spoon stays upright in it. If the dough is still too runny, add some ground almonds.
- Place a heaped tablespoon of the mixture in the middle of each wafer and then press it into shape with a wide knife. There should be about 0.5 cm of the edge of the wafer all around. Then brush the gingerbread about 1.5 cm upwards from the edge and smooth it out.
- In a dry, not too cool room, let the gingerbread dry overnight, but at least 12-15 hours.
- After the resting time, preheat the oven to 175 degrees top and bottom heat.
- Bake the gingerbread on the middle rack in the oven at 175 degrees for about 25-30 minutes.
- Prepare a glaze from powdered sugar, hot water and rum or lemon juice and coat the cooled gingerbread with it.
Tips & Hints
Letzte Aktualisierung am 2023-12-07 / Affiliate Links. Als Amazon-Partner verdienen wir an qualifizierten Verkäufen. / Bilder von der Amazon Product Advertising API