This simple and inexpensive spread is made from lard, greaves and onions.
The so-called Grieben or in Bavaria also Grammeln are fried rest bacon parts. Also add diced onions. There are many variations for this recipe. Apple pieces together with marjoram and thyme can also add a special flavour.
Somewhat unusual, but very good is the Bratwurstgriebenschmalz, which is made from the fat of Thuringian grilled sausages.
Ingredients & Shopping list
- 500 g back bacon
- 200 g pork kidney fat (flomen)
- 1 apple diced
- 50 g onion diced
- 2 tsp water tsp
- 1 tsp salt
- Remove the rind from the back fat. Back fat and the kidney fat are cut into small cubes or coarsely rotated through a meat grinder.
- Put the bacon, chopped in this way, into a saucepan with the water and the peeled apple, cut into small pieces.
- This you put on the stove and let the whole thing melt, stirring constantly. However, it should not get too hot, otherwise the smoothness will be lost when cooled.
- As soon as the greaves have turned golden yellow, roast the small onion cubes until golden, add them to the rendered fat and then chill the lard.
- After cooling, stir well so that the settled cracklings mix well with the fat.