Rote Grütze, also called Rode Grüdd, is originally a regional sweet dish from northern Germany.
Various red fruits such as cherries, raspberries, blackberries, currants, strawberries and others, are cooked with sugar, fruit juice and starch to obtain a creamy fruit pulp. It is important to balance sour fruits (currants) with sweet, aromatic fruits like strawberries.
Typically, this dessert is served with milk, cream, yogurt or vanilla sauce, it can also be served with a rusk. However, red fruit jelly also tastes great with vanilla ice cream or as a filling for an egg cake/pancake.
Newer variations are yellow and green groats, which are prepared in the same way with appropriately coloured fruit.
Recipe Hamburg red groats
Ingredients & Shopping list
- 500 g berry mix with currants, blackberries, raspberries, strawberries
- 500 ml sour cherry or redcurrant juice , preferably direct juice (no nectar)
- 2 tsp vanilla sugar
- 100 g sugar
- 35 g starch flour
- Sort the berries, clean them (pit the cherries) and wash them.
- Cut the fruit into small pieces.
- Mix 4 tablespoons of fruit juice with the cornflour.
- Bring the remaining juice to the boil and then add the sugar. When the sugar is dissolved, mix in the cornflour to thicken the mixture.
- Bring everything to the boil again briefly.
- Mix in the berries and let everything cool slowly.
Tips & Hints
Destined for early consumption. Seasonal fruit is not only delicious, but also a real vitamin and mineral bomb. You can get information about this and another prescription completely free of charge from Shop-Apotheke*Advertising
Goes with this
Letzte Aktualisierung am 2022-01-20 / Affiliate Links. Als Amazon-Partner verdienen wir an qualifizierten Verkäufen. / Bilder von der Amazon Product Advertising API