Elder fritters are baked from the delicately scented flower umbels of the elder. They can be dipped on a stick in a pancake / pancake batter and fried in fat. Freshly prepared and dusted with powdered sugar, a wonderful aroma unfolds when you eat.
As in Bavaria, you can also use a dark beer instead of milk to prepare the dough.
Elder has belonged in many gardens for centuries. It protects against evil spirits, the flowers are used as a remedy for colds or syrup for desserts. Whoever leaves flowers can harvest the black berries in autumn. You can use it to make elderberry juice, a sweet spread or a seasoning paste.
Recipe Hollerküchle – Baked elderflower
Ingredients & Shopping list
- 10 pieces ully opened elderberry flower umbels with a short stem (which is needed to hold)
- neutral oil for frying (e.g. rapeseed oil)
- 200 g wheat flour
- 250 ml milk or dark beer
- 3 eggs
- 1 pinch salt
- Wash the flowers thoroughly and shake dry.
- Prepare a batter with all the ingredients for the pancake batter. Let rest for 10 minutes.
- Grasp the flowers by the stem and dip briefly upside down in the pancake batter.
- Shake off the dough a little and immediately dip into the hot fat with the flowers facing downwards.
- When the dough is golden yellow, remove the cones and degrease them on a piece of kitchen paper.