Kale as a side dish
If there was a typical North German vegetable to name, it would be kale. Traditionally, these vegetables are harvested in winter; preferably after the first frost. The taste of the kale becomes milder and sweeter the later the harvest.
In some regions like the Magdeburger Börde, the Oldenburger Land or in Bremen the vegetable is called brown cabbage. It is mostly processed into hearty winter dishes such as brown cabbage with lump from Saxony-Anhalt or pee with kale from Schleswig-Holstein.
Still old varieties are, for example, the Lippe palm from the Lippe district in North Rhine-Westphalia. The plants reach heights of up to 1.80 m and are therefore harvested by hand. Further information and distribution areas can be found here at Wikipedia .
It is important to cook for a long time and vegetables from a late harvest. Ideally you can find this at a farmers market or producers in the area. Kale is also popular as a traditional side dish for roast goose at Christmas time or with St. Martin’s goose.
To set the liquid, add some buckwheat in the last half hour.
Ingredients & Shopping list
- 1 kg fresh kale (alternatively 700g raw frozen goods) (it should have had a frost before)
- 1 onion
- pot of salt water
- 2 cloves
- 2 tbsp goose or pork lard
- 250 ml meat broth
- salt, pepper
- 2 tbsp buckwheat (to thicken)
- 1 pinch sugar
- The dish will keep for several days when cooked. It tastes better every time it is warmed up several times. Pour in some liquid when warming up and keep stirring, as the kale can burn quickly.
- Pat the leaves dry and let them cool. Then cut everything finely, also cut an onion very finely.
- Heat the lard in a saucepan. Briefly sauté the onion and some of the kale in it. Add the remaining kale and the broth. The cabbage should not be covered more than halfway with the broth.
- Add a pinch of salt and the two cloves. Let the kale simmer on a low flame for 2 hours. Stir frequently and add more stock if necessary.
- Add the buckwheat 30 minutes before the end of the cooking time. This is used to thicken the vegetables. Ultimately, there must be no more liquid in the pot to serve. It must be a uniform paste.
- TIP: If the kale is only pre-cooked to be used later, then add the buckwheat during the 2nd heating and cook for 20 minutes.
- Season the kale with a pinch of sugar and, if necessary, salt and pepper.
- For the taste it is advisable to cook a few cooked sausages or a piece of Kaßler in the last hour and remove them before serving.
Tips & Hints
Events about kale
Letzte Aktualisierung am 2023-05-30 / Affiliate Links. Als Amazon-Partner verdienen wir an qualifizierten Verkäufen. / Bilder von der Amazon Product Advertising API
Perfect. Thank you. I was searching for a green kale recipe. Here it is! Now to find the pinkel sausage.
We are pleased about that. With the Pinkelwurst, it is recommended to buy ready-made products.