The Leipziger Allerlei is a Saxon vegetable dish. Or in the original spelling: Leiziger Allerley. Perfect preparation was a must and cannot be compared to today’s frozen variety. Fresh ingredients are used, preferably spring vegetables. These include young peas, carrots, cauliflower, asparagus, kohlrabi, morels and crayfish.
The vegetables are steamed until al dente. Served together with the crab meat and topped with a crab butter. Additionally, dumplings can be prepared from some of the crab meat. These are the cooked in a beef broth.
Our recipe contains a simple preparation form of crayfish tails. The red crab butter made from the crab shells can also be substituted with normal brown butter. Alternatively, they can use ready-pooled crab tails.
However, the cultivation of such vegetable dishes was not always so. Vegetables were considered to be filling, preferably nicely cooked. Under the name “Macédoine de Légumes”, the vegetable was served anew in France. Dominican monks and fair visitors brought this novelty from Paris to Leipzig around 1750. And here resourceful cooks further developed the recipe. They added morels (which were common at the time), crabs, asparagus balls and similar ingredients.
It was obvious to name this allery, as Leipzig allery.
However, then as now, simple variants also became established. And so the well-known “Macédoine de Légumes” from France is amazingly similar to the German “Leipziger Allerlei” from the deep freezer.
Recipe Leipzig Allerlei – vegetable
Ingredients & Shopping list
- 8 crayfish
- 8 morels (can be bought dried or fresh)
- 200 g young peas (also frozen)
- 200 g oung carrots
- 200 g kohlrabi
- 200 g cauliflower
- 200 g asparagus
- 8 shells from the crabs
- 80 g butter
- Peel carrots and kohlrabi and cut into strips. Small young carrots can be left whole. Clean the cauliflower and divide into florets. Peel the asparagus and cut into 5cm long pieces.
- Cook all vegetables separately in a little water with a little butter until al dente. Add a little sugar to the asparagus water. Add a little milk to the cauliflower water.
- Boil the fresh morels in a little salted water, and then steam them in butter. Dried morels soak in water beforehand until they have risen.
- Clean the crabs and put them in boiling water for 10 minutes until they turn red. Take them out and twist off the tails. Keep the crab meat warm.
- Grind the peels very finely in a kitchen mortar. Roast briefly in a saucepan with the butter. Fill the crab butter.
Tips & Hints
Letzte Aktualisierung am 2023-12-07 / Affiliate Links. Als Amazon-Partner verdienen wir an qualifizierten Verkäufen. / Bilder von der Amazon Product Advertising API