Mockturtle soup is a fake turtle soup with a long tradition. (From the English: mock turtle soup). Due to the continental blockade imposed by Napoleon in the 18th century, the princely courts suddenly lacked turtle meat. Creative cooks improvised this soup and from then on the Mockturtle belonged to the Lower Saxon specialities. Veal or beef was taken as a substitute for the turtle meat. Otherwise, the soup is prepared as in the original.
Ingredients are tender meat, mushrooms, small meatballs and spices. Originally, a calf’s head and calf’s tongue were cooked, and the meat was riced. This variant is still preferred in Oldenburg. In the Ammerland region, people tend to swear by beef, pork and beef or pork heart.
Traditionally, this was a holiday soup, but that has now changed. And so it is also ideal as a small snack.
Mockturtle soup is offered by butcher shops ready to eat in cans.
Ingredients & Shopping list
- 750 g veal shank (alternatively 200g beef, 200g pork, 200g beef heart)
- 1 bunch soup greens
- 1 bay leaves
- 3 juniper berries
- 250 g mushrooms
- 100 g raw ham
- 1 shallot
- 1 carrot
- 2 slices celeriac
- 80 g clarified butter
- 30 g flour
- 1 glass glass of sherry or Madeira
- salt, pepper
- 250 g minced veal (alternatively: mixed pork and beef)
- 1 small egg
- 1 stale bread roll or 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- salt, pepper
- Boil the meat together with the finely chopped greens, juniper and bay leaf in lightly salted water for about 2 hours. The meat should come off the bone easily.
- Remove the meat and let cool; cut into cubes. Pour the broth through a sieve. The vegetables are not used further.
- Clean and chop the remaining vegetables. Cut the ham into strips.
- Brown the butter in a pot, add the vegetables and ham and brown everything. Sprinkle flour over the top and stir. When the flour has taken on a slight colour, gradually add the meat stock until the soup has reached the desired consistency. Simmer for 20 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Season soup with sherry, salt, pepper and lemon juice.
- Clean and slice the mushrooms. Sauté in a little clarified butter. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the meat cubes to the soup together with the mushrooms. Optionally, the meatballs as well. Heat the soup again briefly.
- Form small dumplings from minced meat, rolls, egg and spices. Let it steep in the broth. Approx. 10 minutes.
Tips & Hints
Letzte Aktualisierung am 2022-01-20 / Affiliate Links. Als Amazon-Partner verdienen wir an qualifizierten Verkäufen. / Bilder von der Amazon Product Advertising API