This hearty stew from Lower Saxony is served with semolina dumplings (Schwemmklößchen).
Ingredients & Shopping list
- 100 g durum wheat semolina
- 250 ml milk
- 30 g butter
- 2 eggs
- 600 g peas
- 250 g carrots
- 200 g parsley root
- 1,5 l vegetable broth
- 50 g butter
- 1/2 bunch flat leaf parsley
- Bring the milk to the boil with the butter, sugar and salt. Reduce the heat, stir in the semolina and leave to swell.
- Then transfer the semolina dough into a bowl, stir in one egg and after the mixture has cooled down a bit, stir in the second egg.
- Now boil water with a little salt in a large pot. Form small dumplings from the semolina dough and boil them in water for 15 minutes. Place on a greased plate and let cool.
- To make the pea soup, bring the stock to the boil in a large pot, add the peas and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Dice the carrots and parsley root and add to the peas in the pot with the butter.
- Finely chop the washed parsley.
Tips & Hints
Arrange the soup in a deep dish, add semolina dumplings and garnish with parsley.