Pepperpotthast / Pfefferpotthast
Münsterländer Pfefferpotthast is a simple but tasty goulash made of beef and onions. The name refers to the strong seasoning (= pepper) and the preparation in a pot (= pot). The dish is uncomplicated. In the past it was served mainly at weddings. Such a feast with beef was something special.
Today it is considered a kind of national dish in Westphalia. Here, too, there are variations in the ingredients.
Ingredients & Shopping list
- 1 kg beef (high rib or shoulder)
- 8 onions
- 1 l (meat) broth
- 80 g clarified butter
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp peppercorns
- 3 tbsp breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp capers
- Cut the meat into narrow cubes. Peel and chop the onions.
- Heat the clarified butter in a saucepan and fry the onions in it. Add the meat and fry it as well. Fill up with the meat broth and add all the spices.
- Cover and simmer gently for about 2 hours. Then add the breadcrumbs to bind. Simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Season with lemon juice and pepper and add the capers. Also a little caper juice.
Tips & Hints
The pepper pothast is served together with boiled potatoes, beetroot and gherkin.
Keine Produkte gefunden.