Pinkel with kale is a traditional dish from northwest Germany. The sausage (Pinkel) is a coarse-grained, smoked Grützwurst. Together with kale and boiled potatoes it is a very popular meal.
Once kale gets its first frost in November, the eagerly awaited kale season begins. The cold weather causes the vegetable to lose its tart flavor and become sweet.
In the period from January to February, kale has the highest content of vitamin C and folic acids of all domestic winter vegetables.
Recipe Pinkel with kale
Ingredients & Shopping list
- 1,5 kg kale (it should already have frost if possible)
- 130 g lard
- 4 cooked sausages
- 4 Pinkel sausages
- 4 lices kassler
- 250 g streaky bacon
- 1 tbsp medium hot mustard
- 4 tbsp finely chopped onions
- 250 g oat groats
- 0,5 l meat broth
- salt, pepper
- 1 pinch sugar
- some pimento seeds
- Remove the leaves from the leaf veins and wash the cabbage thoroughly.
- Then blanch the leaves briefly in boiling salted water. Take out the leaves, let them drain and then chop them coarsely or finely.
- Peel and chop the onions and sauté them in the hot lard in a sufficiently large pot.
- Now add the kale and oat groats in layers, along with the spices and mustard. Finally, pour the meat broth.
- Allow to cook for approx. 10 – 15 minutes. Shake or stir everything gently.
- Add the Kassler and the bacon (whole) and braise for 2 -3 hours (low to medium temperature).
- One hour before the end of the cooking time, add the boiled sausages and pinkel sausages.
- Remove the sausages to season the kale. Remove the bacon as well, dice and add back to the kale.
Tips & Hints
Events about kale
Letzte Aktualisierung am 2022-06-25 / Affiliate Links. Als Amazon-Partner verdienen wir an qualifizierten Verkäufen. / Bilder von der Amazon Product Advertising API