The Aachen Easter bread Poschweck also includes lemon peel, orange peel and sugar cubes or rock candy. Already in the Middle Ages it was the ultimate Easter bread. Lent ended with this aromatic and high-calorie bread . In the meantime, the bakeries gave out this pastry as so-called free bread for regular customers. It was later discontinued and even led to riots. The whole exciting story can be read here on Wikipedia .
As with many traditional recipes, taste won and this one Weck has conquered everyday life in the region. The Poschweck is now available also to buy every day. It tastes best freshly baked and served with Spread butter.
If you want to try it yourself: it is also easy to make yourself. Below is the recipe.
Recipe Easter bread Poschweck
Ingredients & Shopping list
- 750 g wheat flour
- 375 ml lukewarm milk
- 125 g soft butter
- 3 eggs
- 60 g sugar
- 60 g fresh yeast
- 50 g orangeat
- 50 g citronate
- 50 g rock candy or sugar cubes
- Flaked almonds to taste
- Let the yeast rise with milk and 1 teaspoon sugar for 10 minutes.
- Knead the flour with the butter, eggs, sugar and the yeast mixture. Add the orange peel, lemon peel and rock candy.
- Shape everything into an elongated loaf of bread. If necessary, add a little more flour. Make an oblong cut along the entire length in the middle. Let rise for another 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, preheat the oven to 200 ° C.
- Place the bread on a baking sheet with baking paper and bake for 50 to 60 minutes. Then remove from the oven, brush with melted butter and sprinkle with sugar or flaked almonds.
Tips & Hints