Americans are a pastry made of sweet sponge, here decorated for football fans. The small patties are finished with icing on the underside after baking.
Staghorn salt is classically used as a leavening agent. A colloquial term, because there is nothing of the deer or any other animal in it. It consists of a mixture of the minerals ammonium hydrogen carbonate, ammonium carbonate and ammonium carbamate. This pastry should run wide, not go up in height, but have a loose dough. Staghorn salt is used for this purpose. If you are not comfortable with this, use baking soda. But then the Americans go up more.
The circular bottom is the real main side in this sweet cake. This is topped with a glaze of icing sugar and a little water or lemon juice. You can also use a delicious chocolate coating. In this recipe, coconut sprinkles are used as turf for little football cakes. How to make the coconut sprinkles green is explained below.
If you want it easy: There is also a ready-made American baking mix, 1kg (advertising). The decorations are not included.
⚽ Recipe Americans for soccer fans
Ingredients & Shopping list
- 1 egg
- 175 g sugar
- 75 g soft butter or margarine
- 3 g salt (1 level teaspoon)
- 230 ml milk
- 15 g staghorn salt (ABC leavening agent)
- 500 g wheat flour (type 550)
- 2-3 tbsp powdered sugar and a little water
- 1 green food colouring
- 100 g grated coconut
- 1 white sugar writing
- 10-12 pieces football decoration
- Cream the butter and sugar and add the egg and salt.
- Mix the staghorn salt in a little milk until completely dissolved and add to the dough. Alternatively, mix baking powder with the flour. Now don't snack on the dough until it's baked.
- Now add flour and milk to the dough and mix everything evenly. Preheat the oven to 190-200° C.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper. Pour the batter into a piping bag or scoop with 2 tablespoons. Pipe the batter onto the baking sheet to the desired size (runs wide).
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes depending on your stove. The Americans should be lightly browned on top. Turn aside and cool completely on a cooling rack.
- To dye coconut green: Place coconut flakes and green food colouring in a freezer bag, seal at the top and knead thoroughly. Add as much colour until the desired (football) green is achieved.
- Mix powdered sugar with a little water or lemon juice. Add a little green food coloring. Stir again.
- Spread the frosting on the undersides of the Americans and generously sprinkle the shredded coconut on top. Use the white sugar writing to apply field lines and use a football or similar as decoration.
Tips & Hints
And where does the name American for the pastry come from?
As is so often the case, there is no entirely clear explanation. GI’s in the American Army wanted Black an White Cookies. Shortened, they became Americans. There is also the explanation that the name derives from the used baking agent ammonium hydrogen caronate. These and even more guesses about the name for this pastry can be found on Wikipedia.
Letzte Aktualisierung am 2022-10-04 / Affiliate Links. Als Amazon-Partner verdienen wir an qualifizierten Verkäufen. / Bilder von der Amazon Product Advertising API