Rhenish Sauerbraten is called “Soorbrode” in the Rhineland and was traditionally cooked with horse meat. Served with potato dumplings or potato pancakes (Rivekoch) and apple sauce.
For the Rheinischer Sauerbarten is used in a pickle of vinegar, wine, greens and spices. One of the regional specialities is the Rhenish-style pork sauerbraten, also known as Pepse in the Rhineland, made from a leg of pork.
Sauerbraten is cooked in many German-speaking regions, sometimes with different ingredients. For sauerbraten, a roast piece of beef is basically marinated raw in a pickle for several days. This makes the meat tender and gives it a specific aroma. Then sear the piece of meat and finish cooking on the stove or in the oven, covered.
Recipe Sauerbraten from the RhinelandPrint Pin Bewerten
Ingredients & Shopping list
- 1 kg braised beef (lean)
- 3 tbsp clarified butter
- 350 ml dry red wine
- 125 ml red wine vinegar
- 125 ml water
- 2 onions
- 1/2 bunch soup greens
- 1 bay leaves
- 2 cloves
- 1/2 tbsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tbsp peppercorns (lightly crushed)
- 1/2 tbsp juniper berries (lightly crushed)
- 2 pimento seeds
- 200 g raisins
- 50 g currants
- 2 tbsp apple syrup (or sugar beet syrup)
- 2 onions
- 1 tbsp sour cream (to taste)
- salt, pepper
- 2 Printen for Saurbraten (or gravy cake)
- Put all the marinade ingredients (vegetables cleaned and chopped) in a saucepan, bring to the boil and then leave to cool. Place the meat in a suitable bowl or pot and pour the marinade over it. The meat must be completely covered. Cover the container and leave in the refrigerator for at least 3 days. During this time, turn the meat several times.
- After 2 to 3 days, remove the meat from the liquid and pat dry.
- Pour the marinade through a sieve. Set vegetables and spices aside.
- 2 finely diced onions, raisins and currants also stew. About 15 minutes.
- Add the marinade (little by little) until the drippings come off the bottom. Cover the roaster and braise everything on low heat for 2 hours.
- Remove the meat, keep warm and strain the sauce through a sieve. Then return to the roaster.
- Add the raisins, currants and sauerbraten Printen until you have a creamy sauce. Season with salt, pepper and apple slaw and season. Boil down again briefly. Finish with cream.
- Slice the roast and arrange on a platter.
Tips & Hints
Letzte Aktualisierung am 2022-01-17 / Affiliate Links. Als Amazon-Partner verdienen wir an qualifizierten Verkäufen. / Bilder von der Amazon Product Advertising API