Classic german fish recipe
Rollmops is a typical “ hangover breakfast ” and a snack classic in this country. It is a rolled up marinated herring fillet with a filling. Pickled cucumbers and onions are used for the filling. One or two wooden skewers that hold the roll together are oligatory.
Due to its size, the rollmops is a typical finger food. This fish classic is also part of a typical Labskaus dish.
You can easily make a delicious rollmop yourself without preservatives.Print Pin Bewerten
Ingredients & Shopping list
- 8 green herrings (green = fresh, not pickled)
- 2 tbsp medium hot mustard
- 4 pickles
- 2 onions
- 1 tbsp capers
- 1 tbsp peppercorns
- 250 ml water
- 1 bunch dill
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 tbsp vinegar
- Sugar, amount to taste
- Boil water, vinegar, a little salt, sugar and bay leaves to a broth. Let this cool down completely. It must be really cold, not lukewarm.
- Debone the pegs, cut off the head, thoroughly clean and wash. Pat lightly dry with kitchen towels. Unfold the fish pieces and lightly salt.
- Spread the mustard mixture, onions and cucumber on the fish and roll them together like a roulade. Fix the end with wooden sticks.
- Layer the rolls in a lockable container, e.g. a glass. Pour the spice stock over so that all parts are covered.
- Let it stand in a cool place for 4 to 5 days.
Tips & Hints
The rollmops are ideal as a hangover breakfast, with a roll as a snack or as an appetizer for a party.
Recipe pickled herring, delicious herring
This north German specialty is also known under the name Bismarck herring. Here based on a recipe from TV chef Kurt Drummer.
Letzte Aktualisierung am 2023-05-30 / Affiliate Links. Als Amazon-Partner verdienen wir an qualifizierten Verkäufen. / Bilder von der Amazon Product Advertising API