Cabbage maw is a simple dish for every day. Red cabbage and potatoes are cooked, stirred and get crispy fried bacon or ham bacon as a topping. Classically eaten with a spoon. The term “mauke” is used to describe a mush. On one or the other, this potato-blue cabbage mixture may seem a bit of an acquired taste. But it tastes excellent and is prepared quickly.
The Sorbs are a population group in eastern Germany and live in Lower and Upper Lusatia. (Federal States of Brandenburg and Saxony). Very well known is mostly the region Spreewald in which traditionally a lot of vegetables are grown. The Sorbs have their own language, their own traditions such as the “bird wedding”, decorate wonderful Easter eggs and of course have their own recipes. This also includes the jacket potatoes with cottage cheese and linseed oil.
Ingredients & Shopping list
- 1 kg potatoes
- 1 small red cabbage
- 200 g bacon or fat bacon
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into small pieces.
- Finely chop red cabbage or shave on a grater for slices.
- Cut the bacon into small cubes.
- Boil the potatoes in salted water until done.
- Put the red cabbage strips in a pot with a little water (2 to 3 cups), add salt and cook until done. If necessary, add a little water.
- Fry bacon cubes in a pan until crispy.
- Drain the cooking water from the potatoes. Mash the potatoes.
- Leave the cooking water in the red cabbage and add the bacon cubes. Stir everything togethe
- Add this mixture to the mashed potatoes and add enough red cabbage broth to make a thick paste.
Tips & Hints
Letzte Aktualisierung am 2022-10-03 / Affiliate Links. Als Amazon-Partner verdienen wir an qualifizierten Verkäufen. / Bilder von der Amazon Product Advertising API