Spekulatius – speculoos
The best-known form of speculoos today are the spice speculoos. A shortcrust pastry with Christmas spices such as cinnamon, cardamom and cloves. The speculoos cookies always have motifs such as a mill, Santa Claus, horses or from seafaring. With the help of models (molds) this pastry has probably been made since the 18th century. But light butter speculoos, which are offered all year round, are also popular.
There are numerous possible origins to the origin. One of them relates to St. Nicholas, the patron saint of seafarers. He rode from house to house giving presents. In the past, children were given a speculoos with these motifs on December 6th. The expensive spices in this pastry made this cookie very special. The pastry originally came from the Netherlands and featured images from people’s everyday lives. And that includes the windmill.
Ingredients & Shopping list
- 500 g flour
- 100 g ground hazelnuts
- 1/2 tsp cardamom
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp clove
- 1 package vanilla sugar
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 250 g sugar
- 1/2 bottle bitter almond flavor
- 2 eggs
- 175 g clarified butter
- 100 g flaked almonds
- Mix the flour, baking powder, cardamom, cinnamon and the cloves together well. Place the flour mixture on the work surface. Form a hollow in the middle and add the sugar, vanilla sugar, bitter almond flavor and the eggs and mix everything well.
- The clarified butter should be cold. Dice and add to the dough together with the nuts. Knead everything quickly to a smooth dough.
- Put the dough in a kitchen tin or foil bag and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Roast the almond flakes in a pan, let them cool and spread them on the work surface. Then roll out the shortcrust pastry thinly. Either just use a cookie cutter or a speculoos roll. Place the cookies on a baking sheet lined with baking paper.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees top and bottom heat.
- Bake the cookies for 10 to 12 minutes and leave to cool on a wire rack.
Letzte Aktualisierung am 2023-06-07 / Affiliate Links. Als Amazon-Partner verdienen wir an qualifizierten Verkäufen. / Bilder von der Amazon Product Advertising API