Maultaschen – Swabian dumplings
Maultaschen are one of the best known specialities of Swabian cuisine. Similar to ravioli (from Italy) or pelmeni (from Russia), flat rolled pieces of new pasta dough are filled (usually with sausage meat, spinach and onions) and cooked in water.
Depending on the region and the family, there are many recipes with different fillings such as minced meat and ham sausage. Also known as Hergott’s shithead. During Lent, the meat was “hidden” here.
Since 2009, Schwäbische Maultaschen have been protectedas a designation of origin (geographical indication).
Recipe Maultaschen – swabian dumplings
Ingredients & Shopping list
- 2 eggs
- 300 g flour
- 1 tso oil
- 160 ml water
- ground nutmeg
- 1 old roll (soaked in water)
- 1 onion
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp oil
- 250 g spinach
- 250 g sausage meat (minced meat)
- Leaf parsley
- salt, pepper
- ground nutmeg
- Knead the dough ingredients into a smooth pasta dough and set aside.
- Filling: First, mix the finely chopped onion with the finely chopped parsley and sauté in a pan until translucent.
- Blanch the spinach leaves (place briefly in hot water and then rinse in ice water). Drain everything and chop finely as well.
- Squeeze the soaked bread well and mix together with the sausage meat, the egg and the spices. Then add all the other ingredients and mix well.
- Now roll out the pasta dough thinly into a rectangle.
- Cover half of the dough with the filling and fold the uncovered half over it. Press the dough down lightly
- At a distance of about 7 cm, press in the dough with a wooden spoon handle. Longitudinally and transversely, so that lines can be seen in a grid shape.
- Cut along these lines with a knife or pastry wheel. Press the dough again well.
- Place in plenty of boiling salted water. Bring to the boil briefly, then reduce the heat and leave the Maultaschen to stand for about 20 minutes.
- Remove the Maultaschen with a slotted spoon and drain.
And so the Maultaschen can be processed further:
Smoked Swabian dumplings
Brown 5 tablespoons of breadcrumbs in approx. 50g of melted butter and pour over the still hot Maultaschen. Sprinkle with chopped parsley.
Roasted Swabian dumplings
Beat 4 eggs with salt, pepper, nutmeg and parsley. Cut 10 Maultaschen into strips and fry them in hot butter on all sides. Then pour the egg mixture over the top and leave to set over a low heat. Remove and sprinkle with parsley.
Place one to 3 Maultaschen on a plate and pour hot meat broth over them. This dish is also very good as a starter soup.
Letzte Aktualisierung am 2023-06-07 / Affiliate Links. Als Amazon-Partner verdienen wir an qualifizierten Verkäufen. / Bilder von der Amazon Product Advertising API