Mutzbraten or roast Mutz is a grilled piece of meat that has been marinated beforehand. Fist-sized pieces of meat from the shoulder or neck of the pig are seasoned with salt, pepper, marjoram and mustard and then marinated in black beer.
Slow grilling is done with a so-called Mutzbratenstand. As shown in the picture, the pieces of meat are put on long skewers, which are anchored in the rack of the grill. However, you should then already invite friends to a barbecue – this dish is not intended for 2 people. The finished grilled food is juicy, strongly aromatic and tastes very good. It is usually served at markets and barbecue stands along with sauerkraut and a roll.
Note: Classically, birch wood is used for grilling.
Ingredients & Shopping list
- 1,5 kg roasted pork neck
- 2 bottles black beer
- 4 large onions
- salt, pepper
- majoram, thyme (if desired)
The day before
- Cut the meat into coarse pieces. Season the pieces of meat with salt, pepper and marjoram.
- Spread everything with mustard.
- Peel the onions, chop them coarsely and soak them in black beer overnight together with the pieces of meat.
- The next day, the pieces of meat are put on skewers and slowly grilled, preferably over a birch fire. Or birch chips for the grill. The meat must reach a core temperature of 72°C. Approximately 75 minutes.
- After grilling, remove the meat from the skewers and let rest for 10 minutes.
The special Mutzbraten grills are available for 14 or 28 servings.
Letzte Aktualisierung am 2023-12-07 / Affiliate Links. Als Amazon-Partner verdienen wir an qualifizierten Verkäufen. / Bilder von der Amazon Product Advertising API