Thuringian red rolls or red cabbage rolls are a variation of the well-known cabbage roll. Instead of white cabbage leaves, the leaves of red cabbage are used. Wrapped is a strong meat mass of game or beef. And as an unconditional ingredient, wild mushrooms such as chanterelles belong to it. Shredded leftover roast can also be used for the filling.
Recipe Thuringian red wrap with venison
Ingredients & Shopping list
- 4 large red cabbage leaves or 8 small leaves
- 300 g cooked game meat or game mince (alternatively beef mince)
- 1 small finely diced onion
- 250 g wild mushrooms such as chanterelles or porcini mushrooms
- 2 eggs
- 2 to 3 tsp breadcrumbs
- 400 ml game stock or meat stock
- 200 ml sour cream
- 1 tbsp flour or starch for thickening
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 1 clove
- 1/2 grated onion
- salt, pepper
- 1 tsp sugar
- Detach 4 to 8 leaves from the cabbage head. Cut very strong center ribs slightly flat. This makes it easier to wrap later.
- Boil 1 liter of water together with clove, sugar, salt and the grated onion. Gradually add the red cabbage leaves and cook for about 10 minutes. Drain over a colander.
- Clean the mushrooms and cut them very finely. Sauté briefly in rendered clarified butter. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Mix the minced meat well with salt, pepper, breadcrumbs, the diced onion, the egg and the cooled mushrooms.Use cooked game meat scraps that should be put through a meat grinder or chopped very finely.
- Divide the mince mixture into 4 equal portions and place each on a red cabbage leaf (two small leaves if necessary). Fold the leaves in sideways and roll into a roulade. So that everything holds, fix with kitchen twine or roulade clips.
- Sear the red wraps briefly on all sides in a roasting pan. Pour about half of the stock and simmer covered at low temperature for 1 hour.
- Then remove the roulade and keep warm. For the sauce, add the remaining stock to the casserole. Bring to a boil. Mix flour with a little cold water and add. Allow to thicken slightly and add the sour cream. Season to taste with salt, pepper, lemon juice and sugar.You get a beautiful red and tasty gravy.
Tips & Hints
Letzte Aktualisierung am 2022-08-12 / Affiliate Links. Als Amazon-Partner verdienen wir an qualifizierten Verkäufen. / Bilder von der Amazon Product Advertising API