This dish of offal is also known as tripe, flecken, kaldaunen, piepen or sulz, depending on the region.
This speciality is made from forestomach (rumen), but also reticulum or leaf stomach, mostly from beef, sheep and also veal. To make these stomach edible, they are thoroughly cleaned, freed from tallow, watered and cooked in salt water for a few hours.
Cut into strips, the pieces are cooked in ragouts, soups and stews, but are also used roasted as a main meal.
Recipe tripe – Kutteln, Flecke, Piepen
Ingredients & Shopping list
- 500 g tripe (cut into strips and precooked)
- 2 medium onions
- 1 clove garlic
- 500 ml strong broth
- 300 ml tart red wine
- 70 g butter
- 50 g flour
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 juniper berries (pressed)
- 2 shots wort vinegar
- 2-3 tsp sugar
- possibly cream
- salt, pepper
- Cut the onions into half fine rings and sweat them in a pot with finely chopped garlic until translucent.
- Add the tripe, continue to fry briefly and deglaze with red wine. Pour broth, add the spices and sugar.
- Cook for at least 1 hour and let them reduce a bit, then they are nice and soft. Add more liquid if necessary.
- Meanwhile, make a roux with butter and flour and cook over medium heat until lightly browned. Add the roux to the pot with the tripe and stir.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and a little cream.
Tips & Hints
Letzte Aktualisierung am 2022-01-20 / Affiliate Links. Als Amazon-Partner verdienen wir an qualifizierten Verkäufen. / Bilder von der Amazon Product Advertising API